Plantation shutters are a beautiful and elegant addition to any home providing privacy, light control, and insulation. HOWEVER, They can also be a bit of a dust magnet and difficult to clean. The slats can be narrow and easily scratched, so it is important to use a gentle cleaning method. And if you don’t clean them regularly, they can start to look dull and aged!
The good news is we have your shutter cleaning checklist below. You can easily clean shutters yourself using a feather or wool duster. The soft feathers or wool will gently remove dust and dirt from the slats without scratching them. Let us show you how…
Materials needed for cleaning shutters:
- Feather or wool duster
- A soft, damp cloth
- Stepladder (if necessary)
Steps on how to clean your plantation shutters using a feather or wool duster:
- Close the shutters. This will help to prevent dust from falling onto the floor.
- Dust the shutters with a feather or wool duster. Start at the top of the shutters and work your way down.
- Use a light touch and avoid pressing too hard on the slats. Be sure to dust both the front and back of the slats.
- Pay attention to the edges of the shutters. Dust can easily build up on the edges, so be sure to give them a good dusting.
- Use a soft, damp cloth to wipe down the shutters. This will help to remove any remaining dust and dirt. Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals, as these can damage the shutters.
- Open the shutters and allow them to dry completely.
Shutter maintenance tips:
- Regular cleaning: Aim for a routine cleaning schedule to prevent excessive buildup of dust and dirt.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Stick to mild cleaning solutions or simply use water with a gentle detergent when necessary.
- Test in inconspicuous areas: Before using any cleaning method, test it in a small, inconspicuous area to ensure it doesn’t cause damage.
Cleaning plantation shutters using feather or wool dusters is an effective and gentle way to maintain their beauty and functionality. By following these simple steps and incorporating regular cleaning into your home maintenance routine, you can ensure your shutters remain a standout feature in your home for years to come!
Our recommended feather & wool dusters to get the job done!